Monday, August 12, 2013

Usain Bolt wins 100m final in driving rain at World Athletics Championships in Moscow

Not even Mother Nature could stop the greatest sprinter in history from reclaiming the world title which he lost two years ago.
In driving rain Bolt charged home over the final 20m to grab American Justin Gatlin and win his fourth major championships 100m gold medal in 9.77sec.
"I am happy but I wanted to do better," Bolt said. "My legs were sore after the semi-finals, I don't know why, but the world record (9.58) wasn't on so I came out just to win.

"Back in Jamaica, they do not expect less than that from me. They always expect me to dominate!"
Given the controversy surrounding the blue riband event following the positive tests to Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell in the lead-up, the sport needed Bolt to shine.
And it didn't need Gatlin - who clocked 9.85sec for silver - to steal it from him given the American has twice been suspended in his career for doping.
Bolt's three Jamaican teammates were next across the line with Nesta Carter third (9.95sec), Kemar Bailey-Cole fourth (9.98sec) and Nickel Ashmeade fifth (9.98sec).
"I was never worried: I know what I am capable of," said Bolt. "After the semis I knew who was capable of running faster. I knew Gatlin would be the biggest rival but as long as I had him covered it was OK."
He then pledged again to do what he could to divert attention from the numerous drug scandals that have tainted these championships.
"I want to distract people away from the bad things," he said. "I just enjoy running. I help in any way I can."
Gatlin, the 2005 world champion, said he wasn't able to replicate the same race plan which had seen him beat Bolt earlier in the year.
"I'm getting closer, I'm very happy with my race," he said. "The last 30m I got long. In Rome I was able to step down all my steps and do my race which I didn't do tonight.
"He (Bolt) has been working on his start - in Rome he had the best reaction out of everybody and he is 6ft 5in. I had to make sure I was beating him to 50m.
"We saw the lightning and thunder in the warm up and we said that normally they would postpone this, but it is Moscow and Russia and they wanted this."
Bolt's victory is another step in the Jamaican superstar's quest to become a legend of sport and mentioned alongside Michael Jordan, Pele and Muhammad Ali.
He now has an incredible six Olympic gold medals and six world titles to his name.
Only Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson have won more world titles with eight although he has a chance to join them given he still has the 200m and 4x100m relay to come.
After scorching heat all day in the Russian capital, the skies closed in half-an-hour before the men's 100m final with the good omen of lightning bolts ringing out around Luzhniki Stadium.
During the introductions the ever relaxed Bolt pulled out a pretend umbrella but he quickly snapped back into business and this time there were no mistakes coming out of the blocks.





No comments:

Post a Comment